Re: Topband: Single antenna port xcvr but want to employseparate receive

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Single antenna port xcvr but want to employseparate receive antenna
From: "Doug Scribner" <dscribner@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 09:08:41 -0500
Jim,

I did the same thing years ago. I modified an old B & W antenna switch, added a 12 volt relay triggered from the amp out jack.

Even without the switch, 3 panel mount SO-239s, a relay and an enclosure would be a minimal investment.

Doug - K1ZO

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com> To: "James Rodenkirch" <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>; "Top Band Contesting" <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 8:48 AM

Traditionally a "T/R switch" means a switch to be used the other way, to allow you to move a single antenna between your separate transmitter and receiver. Ironic that here we are in the 21st century and some of use an external box to do the reverse function!

To switch between transmit and receive antennas on my rig, I use a small 12V relay keyed via my Ten-Tec Eagle's "amp key" output when I'm on 160.

Every transceiver made in the past 50 years has an amp key line of some kind. On the Jupiter it's a phono jack labeled "EXT T/R".

Tim N3QE