Re: Topband: K3 & some interesting noise lessons in the ARRL 160.

To: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>, TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K3 & some interesting noise lessons in the ARRL 160.
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 16:46:24 -0800

On 12/13/2013 8:35 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
=
1831.5 was unoccupied, as was 1832.5 in a later stretch, where operating
with the blanking on, it was as if the noise was not there at all. (See an
earlier post about my unfortunate adventure with the DX window rule.)

I am confused about "1831.5 being occupied."  Is your situation:

1.  The NB works well on the noise, but gets falsed by nearby
signals on a crowded band in the contest.  IOW, the NB
would have worked fine during non-contest times.  The NB
on my FT-1000 is like this (I have the W8JI NB mod).

or

2.  The local noise was lower on 1831.5, but you still needed
the NB.  QRM from other stations was not an issue.

I don't own a K3, but an considering buying one.

Rick N6RK