Re: Topband: Connector grease

To: <topband@contesting.com>, <n0tt1@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Connector grease
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:23:36 -0500

I've never had medical grade petroleum jelly attack any connectors....
that's not saying it won't, it's just that I've never had an issue with
it.

I've never heard of it attacking connectors. But I would never flood a high power connector with anything, even silicon dielectric grease. I think doing so is just asking for problems.

Petroleum jelly is a hydrocarbon, and liquifies at around 100F. It does emit flammable vapors that are harmful to some materials. Don't take my word for it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_jelly

I think it is generally a bad idea to flood a high power coaxial connector with anything, because almost anything other than air can lead to carbon tracking problems. I will never use something that liquifies and runs at 100 degrees or so. It is flammable with something that wicks, just like kerosene or fuel oil. Soak some cotton balls with vasolene and light them. :)

OTOH, I've had clear "silicone grease" attack electrical connectors such
as
"Jones plugs" and the like.  The "plastic" insulation, probably Bakelite,

in those plugs would develop a dead short with only ~12V DC
across the pins in just a few months!!

It may be time to rethink a bad experience from the 60's and 70's, especially when we don't know the intended application or composition of the materials that caused issues.

Almost every modern vehicle has connectors flooded with some sort of grease, and silicon dielectric grease is a recommended waterproofing and corrosion protection. It is flooded right into connectors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_grease.

http://www.acc-silicones.com/products/siliconegrease.ashx

73 Tom