Re: Topband: NOISE CANCELLERS

To: "'Carsten Esch'" <carsten.esch@appello.de>, "'Tom W8JI'" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "'Marcelo Chrispin'" <marcelo@ultracyber.com.br>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: NOISE CANCELLERS
From: "Tim Duffy" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 15:05:30 -0500
We have used the DX Engineering NCC-1 for many years at K3LR on 160 meters.
Before the NCC-1 was manufactured we used the MFJ-1025.
The NCC-1 is a major upgrade above the 1025 performance. The 1025 worked
better than all other noise canceller/RX combiners that I could find and
test with including the ANC-4 - until the NCC-1 came along (I have one of
the first NCC-1 units made).

Our favorite RX antenna combination at K3LR for 160 meters using the DXE
NCC-1 is as follows:

Use the 3 element vertical beam on port A
Use the HI-Z 8 circle on Port B
Aim both arrays to the target DX area.
Find a station in the target DX area and adjust the NCC-1 controls to make
that station disappear.
Then flip the phase 180 degrees and listen to the magic.
Stations that cannot be heard by either array alone are suddenly copyable by
using the phasing of the NCC-1 - to combine both antennas.

We have used other RX antennas in combination with the NCC-1 as well and
found similar great results.

A few years ago we worked 103 DXCC countries during one weekend (the CQWW CW
contest). Using the NCC-1 was a big reason that happened.

73,
Tim K3LR