Re: Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.

To: <Gary@ka1j.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 06:46:28 -0500
I need to isolate if a problem I am having is in a faulty 75 ohm coax
(Remee RG6U flooded variety) where either a critter bit into the coax
or a Snap-&-Seal 6QS connector failed, or an electronics issue is the
culprit.

What's my most expeditious way to prove if it is or is not the Coax?

MFJ analyzers, such as the MFJ-259B, have a distance-to-fault function. I use it on my system, and can find a problem within a few feet on a 2000-3000 foot cable.

Of course a creative person could do the same thing with a simple RF generator, a T connector, and some way of measuring signal level at one port of the T.

73 Tom
Topband Reflector