Topband: Replacing F Connectors with BNCs

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Replacing F Connectors with BNCs
From: Niko Cimbur <ac6dd@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 00:05:55 -0800 (PST)
Very interesting that I was just thinking about this. I have been contemplating
maybe going to TNC connectors. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with
them as far as durability.

Most of my problems when I go portable have been in the cabling and connectors.
The F type connectors don't seem to like multiple connects and disconnects.
They also don't seem to be very strong.  I have had animals get tangled in my
cabling and break and short the jacks.  I like the F male stainless snap'n seal
the best.  I use a couple of very small crescent wrenches to help me with the
connections.  As far as the Female end is anyone reccomending any particular
brand other than Amphenol for durability?

Even BNC connectors don't seem to last that long.  At work we do a lot of
testing, connecting and disconnecting test equipment, and the cables that have
BNC connectors with a molded grip seem to hold out the best. I believe we get
them from Pomona.
The Amphenol connectors with the compression ferrule on the braid tend to spin
with prolongeed use.  I don't know if this is because of abuse from people
pulling on the cable, but It is a big pain doing a data a run with a bunch of
equipment connected, and it does not come out right because one connector on
one cable is bad somewhere.  Raychem helps to make them last longer.

AC6DD
Topband Reflector