Re: Topband: W8ji ATR-10 design 160M?

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: W8ji ATR-10 design 160M?
From: Jim GM <jim.gmforum@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 09:04:08 -0500
Hi Paul

http://lists.contesting.com/_topband/1997-01/msg00037.html  You posted the
comment from W8JI on a reply sorry about that. .  No biggie.

What the patent number?  I would like to read more about it.

So what different bout your tuner, is it like the ATR-10 design?

These transmatches these days T matches just do not have the balls for 160M
running power.  I melted down a MFJ 998RT arced plates on an MFJ 989B
melted down a 25uH Millen coil, arced wire burned up insulation all with
500 watts :-) I tried different configurations.  Short 99 foot inverted L
does give me a challenge. 0.175 plate spacing arcs over. 0.25 spacing on
caps is needed or vacuums variables which are not in my budget.

Capacitor L match ARC over. Vacuums variables or open air variable caps
with 0.25 inch spacing is needed for 300 watts or better.

Inductive L match has heat and at times enough heat to melt spacers on a
Millen coil.

Who makes a tuner that can take this abuse?

--
Jim K9TF