Re: Topband: Outdoor cable trunking - opinions pse

To: "'radiodave.g4ged@tiscali.co.uk'" <radiodave.g4ged@tiscali.co.uk>, "'topband@contesting.com'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Outdoor cable trunking - opinions pse
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 11:58:27 +0000
I think the British word "trunking" is what we in the US would call "cable
tray", metal trays with removable metal lids.

Cable tray is very nice for cable management. Solid bottom galvanized cable
tray, the kind specified by standards where I work, is hard to justify in cost
until dozens of cables are laid in it and total cost of wire management over
decades starts becoming important.

While cable tray lids offer some shielding to 60Hz and audio frequencies, it is
markedly inferior to well fitted metallic conduit for RF shielding.

I've seen cable tray used inside the shack for cable management in some nicer
ham station pictures. It would be very hard to justify the substantial cost for
a long cable tray run between shack and antennas.

Tim N3QE