Re: Topband: Outdoor cable trunking - opinions pse

To: "Dave G4GED" <radiodave.g4ged@tiscali.co.uk>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Outdoor cable trunking - opinions pse
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 07:12:31 -0400
The question is...to use galvanised steel or PVC?

I'm favouring steel because when earthed, I believe it will give extra noise screening for the RX feeders but are there any down sides such as "oven effects" in hot summer sun or "diode effects" between lids and sections, or any other problems?

Once shielding (just like when common mode suppression) goes beyond a certain point as a ratio to levels inside the cable, any additional shielding is useless. The sole exception is lightning or another sudden severe unusual excitation.

I looked at all this with common cable types I planned on using (dual shield with braid and foil). Unless fields exciting the cable were beyond the levels caused by my own transmitters into a dipole above and parallel the cable, any additional shielding was useless.

The test for common mode is more involved than just open circuiting the cable or terminating it, but with normal "non-exceptional" cables nearly all CM issues would come from coupling in at a gap in the system, either at plastic boxes that are absent large backplanes between shields, or poor shield connections at a connector or connector.

PVC is a bit cheaper but wont offer the extra screening.

Does anyone have any relative experience please?

Metal conduit, with proper grounding, will improve lightning survivability a great deal if you are blowing shields out in storms somewhere out in the middle of the runs. Of course there are other ways to reduce shield damage, but a metallic pipe forms an effective bypass for high CM currents that might melt the cable shield. It can or will improve shielding from the outside along the run, but I can't imagine a case where that is an issue unless your cable runs past a high power transmitter antenna or your receive antenna levels are near thermal noise floor limits in feedline conductors.

It does not mitigate CM noise or end-damage, however. The same or more current and voltage will exist at the ends.

Unless running past in-band very high level noise sources, or past something causing lightning to enter the shield, I think is a waste of worry, time, and money.

Tom
Topband Reflector