Re: Topband: Double L antenna as an alternative for the radial-challenge

To: "'topband@contesting.com'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Double L antenna as an alternative for the radial-challenged?
From: Andreas Hofmann <Andreas.Hofmann@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 18:59:36 +0000
Here is a follow up...

I got a few responses, mostly with people telling me to model it or giving me
examples of their antennas. I did not model it yet (I will eventually), but did
some more reading.  I want to restate my issue. A few radials are ok, but
staying 2-dimensional would really help me to achieve my goals of adding
multiple mono band antennas (80 and 160) and also place them close to the
property line.....

Now, I came across N6LF's article
(http://rudys.typepad.com/ant/files/antenna_vertical_loaded.pdf) about the Lazy
H vertical. That article is a good read and includes modelling as well.  It is
similar to the double L but should work better as one more radial and top wire.
Also, the article includes comparisons to half-wave and quarter-wave vertical
in terms of peak gain, peak angle, wire loss, and SWR.

Even though the article includes modelling and comparisons already, I would
still like to ask if anyone is using the Lazy H vertical?  Are you happy with
it, do you work DX with it?  DX and contesting is my main interest. Also, I
probably would be able to go as high as 80 feet for the vertical dimension (90
feet horizontal).

Thanks again for the great tips and information,
Andy,
KU7T