Re: Topband: and KDKA

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: and KDKA
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 21:33:18 -0700
On 9/12/2013 4:06 PM, Herb Schoenbohm wrote:
It might well have been WLW instead of KDKA and according the the story I recall it had something to do with the "nation's station" which was WLW for sure. I think that for national defense in 1932 it was granted a 500,000 watt power level.

I worked at WLWT while an EE student, and our senior class got a great tour of both WLW AM and the Crosley-run VOA site a few miles away. The 500 kW TX was still there (late 1963 or early 1964) and they fired it up into a dummy load for us (cooled by circulating water to a big pool outside). I think I remember that it was an experimental license, rarely if ever on the air. Some research might prove my memory wrong. :)

73, Jim K9YC
Topband Reflector