Re: Topband: How to detune a wire Inverted L? How to 'detune'electrical

To: "Tomas Magyla" <tomas.magyla@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: How to detune a wire Inverted L? How to 'detune'electrical fence
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 18:17:54 -0400
<<<
A poor man's version of L worked satisfactory for me in 2010 VK9LL operation,
without any tuner at the base, the bottom terminal of the vertical wire
directly connected to the center conductor of the coax cable. I had around 90m
??? of feedline going from the shack to TX antenna, to bring the TX antenna to
the clear. It was not a perfect match (I had a MiniVNA with me ant taken
measurements but dont remember the feedpoint impedance straight of my head). >>>

What you do really depends on what you are comfortable with doing. One case
requires a control line and remote relay, the other moves stuff inside or close
to the shack.

One possible solution is to add a T connector 1/4 wave electrical from the
antenna, and short it there with a relay. The relay has to handle higher
voltages but almost no current, provided you time it right.

Another is to go 1/2 wave away, and just open the line for RX. This requires a
higher current lower voltage series relay. Provided you time it right.

Timing is a huge issue with some radios, and no problem with others. Many
radios can just use the TX line used to key amplifiers. Others will actually
require an external sequencing or interlock system (which is no easy task for
multiple modes).

<<<<What would the methodology be to calculate the load at the shack end to
detune it TX ant? Would inserting any significant X move the TX ant resonance
point further way do the detuning job?>>>

I would do it emerically, by using the coax you intend to use at a home test
setup. Exactly how you do it depends entirely on the test equipment you have
and how comfortable you are. It can be done with almost no equipment and a
little skill, or less skill and more equipment.

<<<The location of TX ant for 2013 operation is about 60m away from the shack.
Another idea expressed was if the L is fed with a half wave, the open terminal
at the shack end during RX would transform into an open contact at the
feedpoint making the L float above the ground?>>>

That's correct, although it can be made to work with any cable length if you
use an inductor, a capacitor, or an open or short. One of the four will open
any length line at the antenna. So would a properly located stub. There are a
dozen ways to do it, and the choice depends on what you can do and want to do,
more than what works.

73 Tom
Topband Reflector