Re: Topband: Zo of an individual CAT5 twisted pair

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Zo of an individual CAT5 twisted pair
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 03:42:18 -0400
Actually, the balance of a circuit is defined by its impedances to the reference plane.

By function, if the voltages and currents are balanced (currents equal and opposite and voltages to surroundings equal and opposite), the system is balanced.

It is important to point out to everyone that simply looking at current, which is what most (if not nearly all) people and articles do, cannot tell us if the system is balanced or not.

Worse yet, in many places, articles and "test equiment" looks only at scalar currents. QST articles on baluns and transmission line testing, and even things like articles about using meters to measure balance and a transmission line balnce meter sold by MFJ, look only at scalar current.

We can have balanced impedances to the "reference plane" in the line, or space around a line, and still have imbalance in the **system**. On the other hand, if we have equal and opposite currents through the conductors along with equal and opposite voltages to the line surroundings (or "reference plane"), we have a balanced system.

The important point is voltage from each conductor to surroundings is what really determines the gender of balance, because ideally both coax and twinlead have equal and opposite currents in the two conductors.

73 Tom

Topband Reflector