Re: Topband: Zo of an individual CAT5 twisted pair

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Zo of an individual CAT5 twisted pair
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 09:42:29 -0700
On 8/12/2013 9:32 AM, James Rodenkirch wrote:
Does it matter which twisted pair of wires I use?

The Zo of all pairs is the same, to manufacturing tolerances, but each pair has a different twist ratio (called the "lay"). This is done to minimize crosstalk between pairs. A higher twist ratio (more turns per inch) improves interference rejection of the line, so the one with the greatest number of turns per inch would be the one to use. I don't remember which one that is, but it's sort of obvious when you open up the cable.

BTW -- Belden CAT5/6/7 cables have pairs with each pair molded together, so they tend to be better transmission lines (more uniform over their length). Not a big deal for loss on 160M, but uniformity does minimize interference rejection.

73, Jim K9YC
Topband Reflector