Re: Topband: Lightning QRN season?

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Lightning QRN season?
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 08:55:57 -0400
On 08/12/2013 11:29 PM, Mike Waters wrote:
Frankly, I think many hams are just too lazy (maybe disinclined is a better
word) to try and copy weak signals buried in the noise. To me, that's
what's the most fun about this hobby. That's why I loved working 144.2 MHz,
the challenge. And I managed to work 30 states there from a section of
Toledo, Ohio that had prolific power line noise.

I love a good brain-vs-noise challenge too. That's what attracted me to VHF/UHF EME back in the day when it was done with CW. That's probably why I DX on 160 and 6 meters today. Everything in between is just too easy!

All I can think of is, "what a bunch of wimps". Sorry if that offended
anyone, but what else can we say? :-)

I'm disappointed. I had planned to remain active all summer on 160 this year. I thought I had a "light" summer on tap. Instead, what was to be minor work on my home turned into an all summer battle with both exterior walls of the ham shack being torn out and rebuilt, among other things. I've been completely off the air for some three months now.

73,
Paul N1BUG
Topband Reflector