Re: Topband: Spam on the Reflector!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Spam on the Reflector!
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 20:22:39 -0400
On 06/19/2013 03:38 PM, Keith Jillings (G3OIT) wrote:
---snip------

Yahoo's mail server was hacked a couple of weeks ago - I've had spam or virus e-mails from most people I know who have a Yahoo e-mail address. I don't know if Yahoo are acknowledging the problem yet.

I spent some of last week clearing out the computers of a couple of ladies in our congregation, and setting them up with decent AV (Avast, needless to say). The friends whose accounts were used to infect them were not to blame in any way - their address books were copied by the hackers and used to send the nasties.

It's all part of the fun!

Keith
G3OIT

Hi Keith,

The thing with Yahoo is way older than 2 weeks. Once upon a time somebody pointed out that Yahoo hackers were getting access to the "address books" there. Those do NOT live on your computer. You have entrusted Yahoo with them. I immediately emptied out my address books on Yahoo and just for good measure on Gmail, too. I am just at the point of completely abandoning Yahoo and all my friends there.

I do look at some emails that have raised suspicions but I have probably skipped over some that had "flaky" subject fields, *NO* subject, and certainly I look to see where a link is going to take me. So far that has been the unfailing belwether of obnoxious messages. It only takes a second to look. All of them are so obvious.

73,

Bill  KU8H
Topband Reflector