Re: Topband: My Turn For a Brain Pick - Sanity Check

To: "'Jim GM'" <jim.gmforum@gmail.com>, "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: My Turn For a Brain Pick - Sanity Check
From: "Rick Kiessig" <kiessig@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 15:02:06 +1200
Regarding how the RBN works:

You will be re-spotted if you change frequency (more than about 0.1 kHz), or
after 10 minutes.

Note that due to QRN/QRM/QSB, some Skimmers may not hear you the first time
you call. For this type of testing, you might want to call several times in
a row, on the same frequency. The RBN team suggests using the keyword TEST
instead of CQ for this type of testing. For example:

TEST TEST ZL2HAM ZL2HAM

You will get the best results if you use the same WPM for all words (or use
a keyer).

Keep in mind that many RBN nodes, including mine, only listen on 80 and 160
during their local night -- so calling at different times may well result in
different Skimmers hearing you.

You might also consider using my ViewProp tool to help visualize Skimmer
locations and spots. See http://zl2ham.wikispaces.com/

73, Rick ZL2HAM