Topband: Problem with compression F connectors on Quad RG-6

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Problem with compression F connectors on Quad RG-6
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 14:07:18 -0400
I'm having a repeated weird problem with compression F connectors on quad-shield RG6. When I connect a short length (say 4 feet) of cable to my MFJ-259B, I would expect R>650. Instead, when I wiggle the coax, occasionally I see the display change to R=0 and X= several hundred ohms at 1.8 MHz. This makes no sense to me - the R implies ashort, but where's all the X coming from? The problem seems to vary with the same connector and different PL-259 to F adapters, which makes me wonder what might be happening inside the adapters, but I can't imagine anything producing this result. I have also been unsuccessful in detecting a short using a simple DC multimeter.

I;'m wondering if I should go through my RX antennas and replace all the F connectors and particularly the F to 259 adapters with something else, but what? BNCs?

Anyone have any wisdom?

--

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at

All good topband ops know fine whiskey is a daylight beverage.
Topband Reflector