Topband: Telephone C wire

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Telephone C wire
From: <lrpmbt@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:21:35 -0400
Should add one more comment to help clarify.

I worked for ATT for 40 years and did repair for 25 of that. "C" wire is
extremely durable until the heavy plastic sheath is damaged, generally
rodent or lighting and exposed to the elements. Again in an antenna usage it
may not be the problem of the constant 52 volts at about 40 ma of telephone
voltage causing electrolysis. I didn't think of the electrolysis when
mentioned the use of "C". I just remember replacing miles of "C" wired due
to the conductors crumbling. Using as an antenna probably will last forever.

Telephone C wire is a copper clad steel wire, as long as the hard plastic
sheath remains intact it will be fine, however if the sheath is damaged to
expose the wire it rusts rapidly and breaks. I spent many years repairing such
wire. Water will migrate inside the sheath and the wire will become very
brittle.

Message: 2