Re: Topband: Elevated Radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials
From: "Richard Fry" <rfry@adams.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 09:06:48 -0600
RE: Capability of NEC for Accurate Modeling of Groundwave Fields Close to a Monopole using Elevated Radials

As an example...

The FCC groundwave propagation chart for 1490 kHz (Graph 18-A) shows that the field at 1 km over 1 mS/m earth is 51% of the inverse distance field.

The inverse distance field is the field existing for a perfect ground plane. The reduction for real earth paths is due to propagation loss over less than perfect earth.

Going back to my NEC model of a 1/4-wave monopole driven against 4 x 1/4-wave elevated radials, I changed the ground type from perfect to a conductivity of 1 mS/m. The NEC-calculated field at a distance of 1 km for 1 kW of applied power dropped from 313 mV/m to 160 mV/m, which is a reduction to 51% of the field for a perfect ground plane.

NEC is quite capable of giving us the correct answer, when it is asked the right question.
Topband Reflector