Re: Topband: Elevated Radials EPILOGUE

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials EPILOGUE
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 09:40:02 -0500
I can't believe that no one has put this really important question to bed already.

Since the results vary with installation and soil, and since no one considers "it depends" a good answer, the debate will never end.

If I had the land and an existing vertical with a large buried radial system and another tower available.. I would try it out for the sake of Ham Radio :-))

I've already done that using field strength readings. I'm sure others have also.

P.S. Can someone with a tower also test out a low dipole around 30 ft and then go to 60, 90 and 120 and post the results. I'm thinking a pulley and rope and some quick 10 minutes adjustments for real world results... that one's easy.

I already did that. I made thousands of A-B-C comparisons between high dipoles, low dipoles, and a reference vertical. For a period of time I even had two dipoles at 250 feet or so phased.

The problem is what works here for what I do can be considerably different than other places and what someone else wants.

VK3ZL also compared a shorter vertical with a ~100-foot high dipole for a long period of time. All of these tests were "blind" A-B tests.

The problem is results vary not only with the installation and location, but also with the distance, time of day, and solar conditions.

Bob and I both pretty much settled on verticals, as did ZL3REX and others.

Anyone who has made extensive A-B comparisons likely gets a chuckle out of "I took down an antenna and put up another one and it was XXXX difference" statements. It takes a long time period of many direct A-B comparisons to reach dependable conclusions.

73 Tom
Topband Reflector