Re: Topband: Elevated Radials EPILOGUE

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials EPILOGUE
From: Buck wh7dx <wh7dx@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 08:38:50 -1000
I can't believe that no one has put this really important question to bed
already.

If I had the land and an existing vertical with a large buried radial system
and another tower available.. I would try it out for the sake of Ham Radio :-))

Put up another 160M vertical..   contact a few friends from around North
America or International and take some notes.

Put 2  1/4 wave elevated radials up in the air.. 10ft.   Then try 30ft..  take
some notes.   How did the control sample compare (buried radials).   Should
give you an idea of propagation and changes.

Put 4  1/4 wave in the air..  (if you noticed a difference with 10ft and 30ft -
don't bother with the weaker one)....   any difference with 4 versus 2? - I'd
bet there is...

Put 12  1/4 wave in the air...    how does that compare?   Pretty close to
Control Sample??    What are the real world results.   If it's one "S" unit and
I don't need to lay a mile-plus of wire buried in the ground.. that might be
enough.

I don't think people want to have a ton of elevated radials in the air either -
and I'm reading that you don't need to.

If you don't want to go with elevated - then bury as many in the ground as you
can - have fun...

Surely, someone has the room and energy (friends) to give us all the "final"
answer to this question.   It would be a blast to do.   We'll all pitch in some
beer money.

Please post the results..   :-)

P.S. Can someone with a tower also test out a low dipole around 30 ft and then
go to 60, 90 and 120 and post the results.   I'm thinking a pulley and rope and
some quick 10 minutes adjustments for real world results...  that one's easy.

Bryan
WH7DX

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE] Information transmitted by this email is
proprietary to Mr. & Mrs. B and is intended for use only by the individual or
entity to which it is addressed, or where ever the hell it ends up, and will
almost certainly contain information that will offend a large portion of the
population, which isn't our concern. If you are not the intended lucky
recipient, or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without the
proper authority of the Wizard of Email or Al Gore, you are notified that any
thought, use, or consumption of this email is entirely your choice. In such
case, Bon Appetit....    Note:  A $.02 Internet Tax was charged for receiving
this email and all funds were given to some family somewhere in America or the
U.N....  Have a nice day.

Topband Reflector