Re: Topband: Elevated Radials

To: "Eddy Swynar" <deswynar@xplornet.ca>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 18:25:16 -0500

Hi Guys,

Forgive me, please, if I'm re-hashing a bit of the "...same-old, same-old" here, but I am really curious as to any "real world" experiences that might be out there in the matter of elevated radials, vs. those that are simply laid atop the ground...

My arthritic knees here are making the chore of rolling, & unrolling, my seasonal 24-radials-per-"L"-element radials (I have THREE of them here!) just that, i.e. a VERY painful chore...and barring the possibility of there being a new "bionic" knee replacement(s) in my future, pray tell me:

(A) Is it true that a couple of elevated radials are just as effective as the "optimum" amount of buried ones...?

** Define "a couple". As Ive said on here umpteem times everyones soil/ground conditions are different. Im on a hilltop with solid granite no more than 2' down and mostly less than that, a couple defined as 2 wouldnt fly here very well.

(B) What is the "ideal" number of elevated radials that one should use...?

** When your antenna analyzer shows no change; in my case it was somewhere between 16 and 32 as I simply doubled them and there was no change in 2:1 bandwidth or the impedance display.

(C) How many elevated radials are "just enough"...?

** Same as B unless you dont mind seasonal changes or have great soil. I probably could have done OK with 8 but I believe my success was by paying attention to the details and not throwing away an unknown amount of power be it some fraction of a dB or not. Watching the bandwidth narrow is an eye opener.

(D) How high should these radials be...?

** So you can drive a fire truck or 18 wheeler under them if necessary otherwise 10-12' as a minimum.

(E) Would it be a requirement that I raise the feedpoints of my "L's" to the same height as the elevated radials, or can I simply leave the bases where they are now (at ground level) & simply slant the radials upward with no effect upon performance...?

** Dont know. On mine I started at 10' and slanted to about 15' at a 45 degree angle as per Christman and then ran thru branches in the 15-20' range.

(F) Is it OK to bend the elevated radials to fit property allotments...?

** I did, the West antenna was about 60' from the property line.

(G) What is the desirable length of an elevated radial...?

** Resonant if only 2-4. Mine are approximately 130' of #16 insulated copper but since they all go thru branches that lowers the resonance; I didnt bother measuring it. Ive seen some suggest tying all the ends together into one big loop but havent seen any model to indicate it helps.

(H) Should any existing connections to real earth at the base of the "L's" (i.e. a ground pipe) be completed severed with a system of elevated radials...?

** Yes. It helps to have a close in ground screen but not connected. For lightning you can connect them and a couple of rods after the ferrite isolation choke but be sure you have sufficient isolation to not affect the antenna.

This morning I happened to work a NJ station with elevated radials that almost pegged the S-meter on my 751A---the short distance between us notwithstanding, obviously something was working very well for him there!

Thanks in advance & my vy

~73!~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

** Ive been an elevated fan since 1990, sure beats running on the ground plus a screen and still not knowing if it really works as good as it could as I had prior to that about 5 miles away and 500' lower.

Carl
KM1H