Topband: GI-46B Revisited..

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: GI-46B Revisited..
From: Robert Briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 10:55:27 +1100
Gidday all..I have built around 25 aVHF amplifiers over the past three years using the Russian triodes, GS-35 and 31B tubes as well as GI-6 and 7B tubes..All of these amplifiers are in daily service on 6 and 2 meters and trouble free..

I have looked through all the information on the GI-46B tube and a few things don't add up..A company in Europe uses these tubes in their amplifier product's...I see many retro fits in UTube clips for TL922 and Heathkit amplifiers replacing the 3-500Z and supposed power outputs of 1600 watts..

Just taking the TL922 conversion to GI-46B tubes as an example the tubes are openly mounted with GI-7B coolers in place of the original 46B cooler...The film clip shows the TL922 cooling fan retained blowing against the tubes...I question how are they getting rid of all the heat produced with such a pissy setup..I would have thought the tube should be mounted in a box construction with a good blower and chimneys etc...

According to the Russian GI-46B specs the tube is only rated at 350 watts anode dissipation...Most of these conversions will be running at close to 3kv and to produce 1600 watts output even at 50% efficiency a pair of tubes will have to be dissipating a lot more than the tube anode rating..

Obviously the sketchy information for the GI-46B supplied on the Russian spec sheet must be very conservative...

I am wondering if there are any members on this reflector have used the GI-46B triode and what the real results are and also the cooling used..I am about to do a 46B 6 and a 2 meter amplifier for a client using these tubes..I am confident that with proper attention to the cooling etc that the amplifiers will turn out ok..It has been suggested that the GI-46B is a substitute for a 3CX800 tube..

Bob..VK3ZL..
Topband Reflector