Re: Topband: 160 puzzle

To: "Glenn Biggerstaff" <ww4b73@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 puzzle
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 13:01:53 -0500

Post is pressure treated and has been outdoors a couple of years .Antenna is insulated with a PVC pipe sleeve .My hand does not effect it till I touch, if only 1/16 inch away .The effect is greater if I touch the one of the u bolts clamping the PVC to the wooden post .The u bolt is insulated from the antenna by the pcv. No effect if I touch the PVC. If I disconnect the base loading and put the analyzer direct to the antenna , resonance is about 8 MHz and touching the u bolt or post has no effect.

Glenn, ww4b@ww4b.net

I suspected that. Try mounting the antenna on large, ribbed stand off ceramic insulators to the 4X4. Double thickness on the tubing at the base and dont use the PVC will minimize the effect.

Carl
KM1H

Topband Reflector