Re: Topband: Trees (not the N6TR kind)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Trees (not the N6TR kind)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 09:47:05 -0800
On 1/1/2013 7:35 PM, Tom W8JI wrote:
That was a rather dense stand of trees.

There ARE such things -- my redwood forest is quite dense -- I'd guess more than 100 of them, plus a lot of smaller ones, in 8 acres, ranging from about 100 ft to more than 175 ft, and from 2 ft to 6 ft in diameter at the base. Traveling thorough the SE US, I've seen pine forests that were pretty dense, and this is where the comments I'd cited from cell phone systems installers had come from. Think about WA6NMF's off the cuff "-3dB per tree" in that context.

A few trees a reasonable distance from a LF antenna are not going to do anything observable. A single tree at 2 GHz can mean 20-40 dB. It has nothing to do with resonance, but rather how much the electric field is killed by the resistors sticking up in the air.

I think there may be merit in Guy's observations that a lot of tall trees can put a big dent in the performance of an HF vertical. My attempts at making verticals work here above 160M have been spectacularly unsuccessful. I should have noted that in my earlier post.

Stew Perry Topband Distance Challenge coming on December 29th.