Re: Topband: Trees (not the N6TR kind)

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Trees (not the N6TR kind)
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 18:18:25 -0500
Subject: Topband: Trees (not the N6TR kind)

Pine trees taller than 100 feet could be an issue, since they could be near resonance and lossy - a sad combination when within a wavelength or so of vertically polarized antennas. If your trees are 50 footers, they would probably not be of concern on 160m, but could be on 80m. For horizontally polarized antennas, the trees aren't a problem.

Years ago, when some fellow proposed that trees would radiate because they were fractals, I measured the RF resistivity of freshly-cut pine trees. I firmly attached copper or aluminum plates to a thick one foot long trunk section, and measured resistance. These were wet, freshly-cut, sappy, pines. Pines are acidic and very wet inside, so they should reasonably be at the top of tree conductivity.

I can't recall the exact RF resistivity, but I'm pretty sure it was either high hundreds or low thousands of ohms per foot for a one foot diameter log. I do know the number was significant. Resonance, significant absorption, or radiation would be impossible with that much resistivity per foot.

Given a choice, I probably wouldn't have a high voltage area in close proximity or contact with a tree. I doubt a few trees would produce noticeable loss, and they certainly could not be by any stretch of the imagination "resonant" with such high resistivity per linear foot.

73 Tom

My own experience was with a live 70+ foot pine tree on 80M some 30 years ago which I have recounted here before.

I started off with a 6 wire 12" diameter cage vertical suspend from a branch about 12" from the trunk and 60 1/4 wave radials on the ground. Resonance was well below the band, not very pronounced, and signals on RX were severely attenuated. Back up the tree and I moved it to 3' out and reasonace came up in frequency but TX results were very poor. Climb again and I managed to get it maybe 8-10' out and at that point I could work DX much easier than with an inverted vee about 60' away. Resonance around 3650 was at 59' and the VSWR pattern was as published.

The next step was a duplicate hanging from another tree, Mother nature was good to me since these were the only trees in the back yard that were in the lawn area and I didnt want to go way back and do some series chain saw work.

The ARRL CW DX contest that season resulted in the #2 single band 80 US score and right behind John, W1FV, the perennial winner. I actually beat him in multipliers and he later told me he thought I had won.

That experience proved to me without a doubt that pine trees at least made good RF absorbers. With other pine trees being over 100' away it wasnt like those phased verticals were in the middle of the deep woods. They also worked reasonably well on 40 as half waves but not competitive for pileups or contests. I dont know if it was trees or radiation angle but I soon went with a yagi for 40. K1VR later tried a standard 40M 4 square and wasnt impressed and also went to a yagi.

Carl
KM1H

Stew Perry Topband Distance Challenge coming on December 29th.