Re: Topband: Patience in ARRL 160 Contest

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Patience in ARRL 160 Contest
From: "Augie \"Gus\" Hansen" <augie.hansen@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 21:26:20 -0700

On 12/3/2012 4:58 PM, James Rodenkirch wrote:
"Signing" after the last sent call with a "test" removes all
ambiguity.....

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the contact in the 160m contest. (I could have used a call from you in the SSB sweepstakes in which I missed a sweep by only UT.)

I offer an observation based on this most recent contest. When I came across your run frequency there were several stations calling you, so I waited for a clear shot. The first two callers immediately dropped in their calls while you were sending your callsign a second time plus TEST. I'm guessing you were not using QSK because you didn't stop sending. After a few attempts one of the callers finally got your attention.

There were just a few other stations holding run frequencies that gave their calls more than once in the CQ, and they had similar results. Most run stations used the same technique that I do, as in "CQ TEST KB0YH", with about a 1-2 second loop delay. And I always use QSK so that a caller can jump in at any time. This technique can increase your run rate significantly by reducing doubling and repeat requests.

Looking forward to the next test,
Gus Hansen
KB0YH