Topband: High noise with Rx antennae

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: High noise with Rx antennae
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 11:52:09 -0500
I'm hearing a lot of noise with my triangle array. I was hearing it
close to the house so I relocated 100' away albeit 10-15 feet lower.
Unfortunately I can not put it in a clearing and there are trees
around it, I cut down several that were within 10' of the elements. I
am using flooded coax and the snap on terminals. I replaced all the
terminals but this did not change the problem.

I am getting directivity and to the south along the road I hear an
increased background noise where home electronics may be a source of
noise. What I hear sounds like electrical noise, nothing digital
sounding but moving the antenna didn't help much. By necessity, the
transmit antenna is 75' away and some of the  130' radials on the
ground run fairly close to the Rx array. I find the inv-l to be
sometimes less noisy but the triangle will often pick up a signal the
vertical does not (albeit with greater background noise).

I'm using a K3 with sub Rx and the AF control is rarely turned more
than 15 degrees. Playing with Rf levels, AGC, noise blanker, noise
reduction seems to help overall and Sometimes I run with no AGC at
times too but it doesn't deal with the high background noise. I'm
wondering if shortening the elements would have a positive effect on
reducing the noise level?

Here is a view of the QTH. My house is the last one, at the end of
the road & next to the rail line. I am sandwiched between two state
parks. Other than Amtrak being beside the house and the people on the
road south of me, there is no other house or signal generation within
a mile. http://tinyurl.com/cy7zv7h

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gary
KA1J