Re: Topband: Inverted L SWR Jumps ???

To: Ashton Lee <Ashton.R.Lee@hotmail.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L SWR Jumps ???
From: Jeff Woods <jmwooods@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 07:53:09 -0800 (PST)

"The inverted L loads just fine to about 700 watts and then causes the Alpha
amp to fault out. I think I am getting a sudden change in antenna impedance.
The antenna is fed through a 5 KW rated choke balun. The feed line exits the
base between radials."

Remove the balun.  It's not doing anything for your and is a potential source
of loss and problems.  Coaxial cable is unbalanced, as is a ground-fed inverted
L. No need for a balun.

Check all your connections - make sure they're tight and well soldered or
clamped.  You're pushing a lot of RF current through them and a marginal
connection will generate much heat and expand.

-Jeff
W0ODS