Re: Topband: how high are very high voltages on antennas?

To: "Grant Saviers" <grants2@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: how high are very high voltages on antennas?
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 22:15:32 -0500
1. Four relay switched vertical wires at the center bottom voltage node. The antenna has about a 25 KHz 2:1 bandwidth so a "binary" ladder of 4 wires can cover the whole band if the natural loop is resonant at about 2Mhz. Of course, the wires are not 8:4:2:1 in ratio, so I've been trying a lot of length combinations to get full, no gap coverage and have a compromise set that "works". I've also got a continuous tuning controller scoped out to sequence the relays.

I would not load at a voltage maximum.

I would series load at the feedpoint, where voltage is reasonable. A series inductor system would work, or series capacitors to move it up, or both to move it around. The nice thing about this is the relay feed could share the same choke balun cores by taping the cable to the shield of the coaxial feedline.

I'm not sure how a low apex height vertically polarized delta antenna would work. I suspect not nearly as well as an inverted L or T with modest ground system.

73 Tom