Re: Topband: how high are very high voltages on antennas?

To: "Grant Saviers" <grants2@pacbell.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: how high are very high voltages on antennas?
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 08:27:38 -0500
It is often mentioned that "very high RF voltages" are present at ends of dipoles, voltage nodes on loops, etc. but I haven't been able to find any guidance in the form of numbers. How high is "very high"?

An antenna is also a transmission line, and so the voltage depends on losses along that line, the line surge impedance, and the current along the line.

This is why thin wires in antennas (antennaE are on insects, antennaS are on radios) with low radiation resistance have very high voltages, especially when loss is low. Since radiation resistance of a full wave loop is fairly high, voltages will not be extreme. A delta is a little worse than an expanded area loop with a little less gain, but not much. All are about equal to a regular dipole.

http://www.w8ji.com/delta_loop.htm

Assuming QRO power into a full size apex up delta loop, corner fed, vertically polarized, what will be the voltage at the apex? I haven't found a way as yet to have EZNEC give me a value.

Connect a second current source to a small wire running away vertically from the corner for 1/8th wave, and set the source to zero current. The voltage given in the Source Data button tells you the voltage.

If I wanted to put a relay at a voltage point to switch a stub, how would I float the 12v DC coil from the RF present?

Why would you switch in a stub? Switching in a "hanging" wire at the apex or at the center of the bottom horizontal wire (at a voltage maximum) will lower the resonant frequency. Or are you switching in a long stub, to make it an entirely different mode of operation?

73 Tom