Re: Topband: phasing line lengths for phased verticals

To: "DALE LONG" <dale.long@prodigy.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: phasing line lengths for phased verticals
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 07:42:49 -0500
I really DO have 80m verticals that are 1/2 wave apart. (incidentally I share the radial fields with the 160m antennas which are 1/4 wave apart)

So the question remains, how to properly feed phased verticals that are physically 1/2 wave apart>>>>

If It was my array, I'd add an element in the middle hanging from a catenary rope.

One problem with 1/2 wave spacing is the distance is too wide for effective end-fire (out-of-phase) gain, and not quite wide enough for best broadside (in phase) gain. More important, you cannot obtain a unidirectional pattern.

You might consider adding a third parasitic element midway. With a minimum of hardware, this would give you a simple reversable 80 M unidirectional pattern in the same directions as the 160 elements. You could also still have broadside bidirectional and endfire bidirectional, so you would have two unidirectional patterns and two bi directional patterns with no more than a inverting transformer and a switch.

Of course SWR would be a slight issue, but tolerable with some planning. Mutual coupling would cause impedances to change with directions.

Otherwise, all it takes is an inverting transformer and a relay to flip between bidirectional patterns.

73 Tom