Re: Topband: corona noise

To: "Jon Zaimes AA1K" <jz73@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: corona noise
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 08:32:23 -0500
What is "a lot taller"?

I can't answer that question specifically. It varies with e-field conditions and the type of antennas and structures.

The corona is a micro power noise generator so it radiates noise, and the target has to neutralize the field near other points so they don't break into corona.

Would an aluminum or steel (or combination) mast extension with pointed tip, extending say 10-20 feet above the top beam -- let's say one for 20m -- help to reduce corona discharge noise in the top beam?

It should. I always put a sacrificial vertical of some type above my antennas for that reason, and to keep lightning off antenna element tips. The "rule of guess" I use is the target I use is over twice the antenna element radius length above the antenna. It seems to work here.

When we took Bill Fisher's antennas down at his mountain QTH, his top antennas had element tips eaten up from lightning and corona. Antenna elements just 10-20 feet lower were clean.

I played with this stuff a great deal in Ohio because my old two-way business had marine repeaters along the lake. Corona noise, right when ships and other services needed communications the most, could be severely hampered by p-static. Sharp points, like frayed ends of guylines, aggravated noise problems when antenna were around the guyline. I could climb the towers and hear the frayed or splayed guyline ends making the exact same acoustical noise pitch as the RF noise bothering antennas.

The only way to cure it is to stop the corona (which means it moves somewhere else, usually) through rounded ends or by adding a taller leak or target that is away from the antenna. Changing antenna types, grounds or grounding, DC feedline paths....none of that actually helped. The repeater systems had DC grounded hi-Q cavities, and noise was exactly the same with or without the cans. The same is true here at the house, where antenna with or without element grounding are all basically the same, although I do mitigate internal cable voltage buildup.

73 Tom