Re: Topband: corona noise

To: "Bob Kupps" <n6bk@yahoo.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: corona noise
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 18:58:36 -0500
Hi would a static discharge wick mounted on the lightning rod be helpful? They seem to work well for aircraft AM radios.
<<

Anything a lot taller than the antenna being used and close to the antenna can help reduce corona from the antenna itself, because it is a better "leak point". This is why lower antennas are quieter than higher antennas during storms.

Static wicks would work especially great if our stations were in the air hundreds or thousands of feet above earth, with no earth contact. They would make the earth-isolated station assume the potential of the air or clouds around the station. Any corona (charge equalization) between the aircraft and air around the aircraft would come from the wicks, and not the antenna.

The problem with having wicks work for terrestrial applications is getting the great big earth, which is larger than most aircraft, to assume the potential of the clouds or air around the antenna. The antenna has a path to earth, so the charge just keeps coming back.

Lightning equalizes things between the sky and earth temporarily. Listen to an antenna during a storm, and watch out the window. When lightning flashes close by, the noise goes away. I'm not sure that is a safe way to operate though. :-)

73 Tom