Re: Topband: 160 meter elevated vertical

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 meter elevated vertical
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 10:37:27 -0700
On 10/22/2012 5:44 AM, Tom W8JI wrote:
If we look at a popular balun book, to explain why a test dipole at 1/4 wave height did not benefit from a balun, the author cooked up a very strange theory about cable diameter in wavelengths relating to balance. The author neglected looking at the distance to the ground point of the shield. Not looking at the system trips a lot of people up.

I agree. One thought as part of that system -- N6LF and others have noted that currents in a relatively small number of elevated radials can easily be unbalanced, and that unbalanced currents significantly increase loss. Rudy also noted that common mode current on the coax and an earth connection significantly contribute to unbalancing radial currents. Bill's radials are pretty high, which I would expect to reduce that sensitivity.

Also, I would be quite surprised if the common mode Vf of any coax was much less than 0.95. After all, it's a large diameter copper conductor covered with insulation.

Like others, I consider "coil of coax" chokes with no ferrite core to make them resonant at the frequency(ies) of interest to be a bad idea except for systems where the common mode Z of the feedline will be strongly inductive at all operating frequencies. AND it should be remembered that a primary reason for using a feedline choke is to minimize noise pickup on the feedline, and for that function, the higher the value of resistive impedance, the better.

So while I agree with Tom that a coil of coax would work on this particular antenna with the ground stake, I would not recommend it as a general solution.

73, Jim K9YC

73, Jim K9YC