Re: Topband: 160 meter elevated vertical

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 meter elevated vertical
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 20:02:07 -0400
"Just DO the common mode choke on any vertical.  Don't tempt Murphy."

I stand by my comments.

I find after some interesting conversations that readers of posts
often read as if written to them.  So I write my posts as to the
general audience.  If an expressed situation is so specific as to be
exceptional to general use, I reply in private.

*Of course* there will be a few situations where this general purpose
rule won't add any value.  The question is whether a specific owner
has the equipment and technical knowledge to identify those
situations, which are highly specific and subject to all kinds of
local influences, and whether one can post a textbook to explain the
choices.

And while theoretical situations are raised, I continue to this day
finding situation after situation where a vertical needs common mode
blocking to help fix it, and I've not ever once had to tell someone to
REMOVE a common mode choke at a vertical feedpoint.

I was speaking of vertical feedpoints.  Dipoles are another subject.

73, Guy.
Remember the PreStew coming on October 20th.  http://www.kkn.net/stew for more
info.