Re: Topband: Skywaves from Monopole Surface Waves

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Skywaves from Monopole Surface Waves
From: "Richard Fry" <rfry@adams.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 15:37:52 -0500
Guy Olinger wrote:

** What was the station and location? This allows us to view the location ourselves with Goggle Earth and other tools. etc etc etc

The data I posted was sent to me as a courtesy by the consulting engineer who measured and compiled it. He performed these measurements as a paid service, for submission to the FCC. Revealing the requested details would not be not appropriate or fair to the client who paid for them.

I will respond to a few of Guy's comments, although most of this could have been learned by a more careful reading and consideration of what I posted.

As I stated in my post, the measurements were made at a distance of 2.8 km from the radiator. That distance is 5 wavelengths from a MW broadcast monopole on 540 kHz, and almost 16 wavelengths at 1700 kHz.

At a distance of 2.8 km, the elevation range over which the measurements were made was zero to 3 degrees (as posted). It would be the same regardless of the height of the monopole.

As I posted, the path length is so short that earth conductivity will have little affect on the measurements. That is why a short path length was used for these measurements.

This consultant has made helicopter measurements of 4-5 other MW stations, but I would not expect them to show anything different in principle than what I already posted.

The measured fields by the consultant show that no "notch" exists in the elevation pattern of that monopole from 0-3 degrees. Nor would one appear in the elevation pattern of ANY monopole up to 5/8-wave in height.
Remember the PreStew coming on October 20th.  http://www.kkn.net/stew for more
info.