Re: Topband: Fishing beacons redux

To: "Mike Armstrong" <armstrmj@aol.com>, "Milt -- N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fishing beacons redux
From: "Robin" <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 14:18:49 -0700
the units we salvaged has the specific frequency marked in the crystal and unit itself along with the callsign

the "sel call" units are a good thing for us as the bouys would not transmit until "paged"- and this matches with the competitive aspects, they would not want others to get to their catch before they do

I think this is enough on this, we know what they are, and enough about them to know they aren't a location beacon we can make effective use of

Transmitting on their frequency feels good but isn't likely to be particularly effective. Make your own band map so you avoid digging out a weak signal that is a known buoy, and get on with operating

Robin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Armstrong" <armstrmj@aol.com>