Re: Topband: Fishing beacons redux

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Fishing beacons redux
From: Dave Mueller <daven2nl@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 14:08:15 +1000
In my part of the world, beacons are used extensively to mark fisherman's long lines. I would say that the average fishing boat has 10 or 12 of these beacons which are deployed along the length of the line, which could be tens of miles long. These lines take quite a while to deploy, are left for some time, then recovered by the vessel. Finding the line after it's been left to fish is what the beacons are used for. Here in the NW Pacific they are used extensively for tuna fishing. In the Atlantic, they are used in the swordfish industry.

I believe that KF4LYM is correct in his observation that in ITU Region 3, there is a secondary allocation for these devices in the 160m band. I would assume that most beacons bought and used by fisherman in North America and elsewhere are manufactured in Asia - Region 3.

I found some information online here:

http://www.commercialfishingsupplies.com.au/radio-buoys.php

These specifications are universal for the most part to those of other fish beacon manufactures.

The ones I've seen are all pre-programmed by the manufacturer. The user does not have the capability or know-how to change this frequency. Since these beacons are manufactured in China and Korea where band allocations are different, then sold here by and to people who are oblivious to FCC regulations, they are operated without any evil intent to Topbanders. Those who use them in Georgia's waters probably complain about lack of accuracy when W8JI is on the air!

I doubt there is any easy solution to this QRM. In my younger days as a USCG boarding team member stationed here on Guam, when we would go on board these vessels our primary focus was on safety and fisheries/pollution enforcement. We didn't give the beacons a second glance (or first glance for that matter), and I doubt that will change in today's environment unless a real need arose. As much as we may believe in our self-importance, I doubt anyone really cares that we are being QRMed while trying to work DX on Topband.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK