Topband: Length of Hi-Z vertical wire

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Length of Hi-Z vertical wire
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 13:17:32 -0700
Hi Gary, The length of your element will have no affect on the pattern of your
array. The length will affect the absolute output level of the array. For your
circumstances it is doubtful adding extra length will help. In only the
quietest of locations will the array noise figure approach  too high for the
ambient noise. I suggest winding just a few turns of the element wire around
your poles to increase the effective diameter a bit but do not wind so many
that you have excessive inductance. About 2 turns per foot is good secured with
good tape or Zip ties. Making all the verticals as close to the same as you can
will ensure that the pattern is optimum. The three element array controller is
not as lossy as the more multi-element controllers and so has a better noise
figure. 19 feet should work very well for you.
Lee  K7TJR

I just received the shipment of fiberglass
extendible poles today and before I
replace my droopy old PVC verticals for
the HI-Z 3 ele array. I'm wondering if
anyone has experimented with the length of
the elements and found better results. I
believe the wire is 19' long and wonder if
24' would make an objective difference in
directivity or null?

These are heavy poles & 4' long each and I
have to lift them upright so more than 6
of them would be unwieldy for me to get up
& inserted into the base, doing it by
myself alone. If the extra 4' would be of
help, I'm sure I can manage.

Thanks

Gary  KA1J
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK