Re: Topband: HiZ Install Small Lot

To: "galicic@comcast.net" <galicic@comcast.net>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: HiZ Install Small Lot
From: "Chortek, Robert L" <Robert.Chortek@berliner.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:57:06 +0000
Hi Joe,

I don't have any advice.  Only some words of encouragement regarding compromise
installations, and that they can yield a substantial improvement.

I live on a small city lot,  no more than a quarter acre.  I have tried a dozen
receive antennas (K9AY, EWEs, coaxial loops, low dipoles, etc.) over the years
looking to improve the all-important signal to noise ratio. Nothing gave a
meaningful improvement.  Along came the 3 Element Array, so I thought I'd give
one a try.  Everything about my situation is a compromise. I can't get a 40
foot triangle with equal sides (nor will a 50 foot triangle fit on my lot), one
of the elements is 3 feet lower than the other two, the corner of the house
blocks the  line of sight between two of the elements, two of the elements are
near a metal fence and one of the elements is within 50 feet of my vertical.
Not a pretty picture.  Still, the system is highly directive on 160 meters
where I spend most of my time.  It provides a very good improvement in signal
to noise ratio over my vertical and has truly uncovered another layer of
signals for me.  I have worked a number of stations on 160 I co
 uld not hear with my BOG or my vertical.  It works better than my 275 BOG most
of the time.   It REALLY does work, even with all the compromises in my
situation.  I am amazed at its performance and am VERY happy with the decision
to install one.

I run the legal limit with no harm to the array - a great feature.  I am very
pleased with this array - and it works great all the way up to 12 meters, to
boot!.

Good luck. Do the best you can, and don't worry about the compromises over
which you have no control (I don't consider moving a viable option).

73,

Bob/AA6VB