Re: Topband: Response to W8JI's comments about using a K2AV foldedcounte

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Response to W8JI's comments about using a K2AV foldedcounterpoise at VK6VZ
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 15:46:34 -0700
On 9/24/2012 12:25 PM, Dan Edward Dba East edwards wrote:
my suburban lot is small, and i would prefer to make the measurements on my
property; the lot is 120'

N7CL suggested 5 wavelengths as being a viable distance for meaningful measurements -- that's half a mile. Rudy's 160M measurements were done at only 700 ft, with a quarter-wave radiator and quarter-wave radials. That distance seems close, and there are elements of the results from that series that don't agree with N7CL's observations of the difference between comparable systems.

One major problem with measurements of this sort is that the presence of one radial or counterpoise system, even if it isn't hooked up, can contribute to inaccuracies when measuring the other one. Rudy noted that when he was doing an extensive series of measurements of 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64 radials, he added them a group at a time, measured them, then repeated in reverse order, rolling up those that he was disconnecting to avoid that problem.

Based on my studies, I'd expect to see differences between various not bad but non-ideal ground systems of the sort we're discussing here on the order of a few dB. When you're trying to quantify such small differences, it doesn't take much to contribute significant errors.

73, Jim K9YC
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK