Re: Topband: Vertical dipoles in the real world

To: <PaulKB8N@aol.com>, <wa3mej@comcast.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical dipoles in the real world
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 14:58:17 -0400
I put up a short vertical dipole for 40M.  It is 25' tall and has top  and
bottom X-shaped capacitive hats that are 42.5" square with a perimeter wire
attached.  The lower capacitive hat is about 6' above the ground.

While the antenna is resonant just under 9 mHz, it works very well on both
30M and 40M.  My "go-to" antenna on 40M is Double Zepp about 90' on a
side. I frankly did not expect this short vertical dipole to be competitive
with the DZ, yet it was!

Hi Paul,

How high was the DZ? What direction was it oriented compared to the reporting stations? What is the feed system?

We really need articles describing ways to reasonably compare systems. There is a small helical magnetic loop antenna that was in an eHam article and is on U-tube that, if we believe the video, has well over 10 dBd gain!! The CFA, the EH antenna, the Isotron, the CTHA antenna, and the list goes on and on.

It might not be about what is right with antennas being evaluated, but what isn't right or detailed with references.

73 Tom
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK