Re: Topband: Vertical dipoles in the real world

To: wa3mej@comcast.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical dipoles in the real world
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 11:39:05 -0400 (EDT)
Jim,

I put up a short vertical dipole for 40M.  It is 25' tall and has top  and
bottom X-shaped capacitive hats that are 42.5" square with a perimeter wire
attached.  The lower capacitive hat is about 6' above the ground.

While the antenna is resonant just under 9 mHz, it works very well on  both
30M and 40M.  My "go-to" antenna on 40M is Double Zepp about 90' on a
side.  I frankly did not expect this short vertical dipole to be  competitive
with the DZ, yet it was!  As expected, close-in reports on the  Reverse Beacon
Network favored the DZ, but there were many distant stations that  reported
in on the Vertical Dipole that weren't reported on the  DZ.

I've compiled about 10 pages of RBN comparisons of the two  antennas, and
overall, there is less than a dB difference between the two  antennas on
common RBN sites, with an advantage to the Vertical Dipole on longer  DX.
Daytime favors the DZ, nightime the Vertical Dipole.

While this is not rigorous science, I am satisfied that I can generally
replicate the performance of a very successful antenna with a much larger
footprint with the much smaller Vertical Dipole.  Mine is a wire version  hung
from a tree and can be deployed
in about 10 minutes.  I'm going to increase the size of the hats to  make
this antenna resonant on 40M and would expect even better results.   This
antenna can be very easily fabricated, I'd like to encourage results  from
anyone trying something similar.

Paul, K5AF

In a message dated 9/20/2012 11:00:18 P.M. Central Daylight Time,