Topband: VK0M on 160m

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: VK0M on 160m
From: Ron vk3io <vk3io@iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:50:26 +1000
With regards to VK0M on 160m, I am sure this will be difficult as I have been told that the big wire antennas that were on the island (Vee beam and Rhombics) have been taken down.

I have also been told by Kevin and Trevor that putting up any big antenna would not be permitted.

So maybe a temporary big vertical or inverted vee held up by balloon or kite maybe possible, if the operator down there had the enthusiasm or time to do such an experiement.

I also doubt if any operator (any technical staff on assignment) would take an amp down there, as they are limited by weight, for what they can take with them and so will probably be limted to 100w.

As far as VK0M is concerned the last AR stations down there were Trevor VK8TM who was VK0TH (2011-2012) and before him was Keven VK4KEV who was VK0KEV (2010-2011).

Before Trevor and Kevin was David VK0MT (2005), Allan VK0MM (2000), Tom VK0TS (1997), Graham VK0GC (1983, 1987, 1989) and So Jo VK0SJ (1986, who was very active and a big dx'er and back then they had access to the big vee beam/rhombics).

Of recent times, both Trevor and Kevin were more active, so maybe they had more free time or as their antennas were close to their accomodation. it was easier to operate, than in the old day's where they had to trek the remote radio hut and stay overnight.

Kevin said he had a 5 band vertical and a dipole.

I remember Kevin often called in on 40 and worked many USA and seemed to hear very well and got out pretty well with his 100w. I don't know if he had radials on his vertical and if so how many he had. I think he did come on 80 for VK's, but not on the dx window or cw.

I do remember Trevor doing a lot of 40m and 80 cw dx and digital modes, but I cannot remember what antenna he was using. Probably another 5 band vertical and I don't know how many radials he had. He did also seem to hear very well and worked many USA and Europe on 40 & 80 (and other bands of course) on cw and digi modes as well as ssb. He was the most active of recent VK0/M visitors.

I don't think either of them did anything on 160 or even listen there, due to the antenna restrictions. If you cannot put many radials out, then you will probably never get a short height vertical working on 160.

I think it would be a good idea to send either Kevin otr Trevor an email and find out what antennas they had and for other AR operational info.

Cheers, from Ron.
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK