Topband: VO1HP FCP Inv L and Kitchen Oven

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: VO1HP FCP Inv L and Kitchen Oven
From: VO1HP <fdavis@nfld.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 13:00:24 +0000
The Inv L FCP continues to perform.

After a nice long hot summer here which is unusal here I was on last night around 0230 and worked K6ND, WJ3A, G4EIM. LY2OU, UY0ZG.

While operating I started hearing at regular intervals somewhere of in the distance "beep beep" pause "beep beep" ...upon investigation I found the kitchen oven had turned itself on and was awaiting further instructions from the keypad. I was running about 600w and the flat-top of the L runs more or less over the kitchen area.

I reread the RFI article re kitchen ovens in May 2012 QST and my first reaction was to try and place by-pass caps as described in the artcile. Howevere I thought I would try the simplest thing first. This morning I was able to place two snap on chokes of #43 material over the 240V wire inside the access panel at the back of the stove. The 1/2inch hole in the cores is not big enough to snap over the cable as it enters the stove. So I removed the plug from the wall and removed the access panel of the stove. There was enough room in the area to accommodate two snap on chokes -- i ran two wires through one core and one through another. There was just enough space to accomodate the cores.

Upon testing at 600-700W the oven appears to be unaffected now. hopefully it remains thus.

The old inv L and on the ground non-uniform and erratic radial system did not cause this issue so do I conclude that the effective radiated field from the FCP Inv l is that much stronger? Yesterday I also did some more work on the FCP ...when I initially built it I used 1/2inch pressure treated wooden spacers and tie wraps. Yesterday I replaced the those spacers with 1/2inch "PEX" (HDPE material) water pipe painted black. These spacers appeared to cause a slight shift in the SWR curve for the L...raising somewhat away from 1800khz. I am wondering about this material and whether its the right stuff to use?

By the way the oven model Jenn-Air JES8850ACB ( same number for Maytag)

73 Frank VO1HP
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK