Re: Topband: PREAMP/PRESELECTOR

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: PREAMP/PRESELECTOR
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 14:43:27 -0400
> Now, IF you need a bit of a boost, consider killing two stones with one
> bird.  If you have a need to eliminate some noise, the MFJ 1025/1026 noise
> reducers have a bit of a preamp built in.  It is just a few db but it
> might
> suffice.

That is a mediocre TOI amplifier for a "line driver" or broadband "booster"
application. It is a simple single J310 JFET source follower, and only makes
about 5 -15 dBm TOI. That device also has pretty high noise floor because of
gain distribution. It has a good bit of loss ahead of the 2N5109 output
transistor. It also has a back-to-back diode clamp inside.

It does the job it was intended to do pretty well, which is to mix a "noise
signal" into a transmitting antenna's receive path, but I would not
recommend it for amplification.

By the way, if you match the emitter follower on the output to the receiver
a bit better the gain and TOI will get a few dB better. It's pretty hard to
quantify the TOI, because control settings and receiver impedance affects
it, but someone is far better off using a "real" amplifier if needed.

73 Tom

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK