Re: Topband: 2012/13 season opening up?

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 2012/13 season opening up?
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 08:00:40 -0400
Don't take this the wrong way, but 160 meters is open all summer and all
winter long ***if*** people take time to operate. This is especially true in
the southern USA with our shorter summer daylight period.

It isn't unusual to work northern Europe or Japan even in mid-summer. There
really is just a period of about a month or so when JA openings are rare,
and JA3KZR is in my log every single month of the year. It wasn't unusual to
work LA3XI with 579 signals both ways, even in July, let alone more southern
Europeans.

My observation over the years has been the biggest reason the band closes
down is no one is active, probably because noise is high and it scares us
away. :-) Propagation is often there during any season, and it can be quite
good propagation, as long as the path is dark or near dark.

I feel a bit sorry for people in the southern hemisphere, because we all
abandon the band until our seasonal alarm clocks ring in the late summer or
early fall. 160 is open all year, if we look on quiet days.

When no one tries, the band is closed.

73 Tom

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK