Re: Topband: Image on 160M

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>, Tom Rauch <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Image on 160M
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 17:59:59 -0500
That's exactly what I was thinking.

This is the preamp I use on my RX antennas:
http://www.w0btu.com/W0BTU-broadband-preamps.html . It's been in service
for many years and works great. Even with a 100 kHz to 30 MHZ bandwidth,
and with no input attenuation, it rarely overloads and produces spurs. The
few times I have seen it overload, I think it was the back-to-back 1N914
protection diodes in parallel with the input conducting. (I've since gone
from just two to four diodes in series/parallel.)

Having said that, I usually use a small amount of input attenuation when I
have it switched on. I just use a ~2K pot in series with the input, and
adjust it so that the signal level from my Beverages are equal to the
signal level from the TX antennas.

I know that there are probably more advanced preamp designs now, but it's
the circuit you recommended to me many years ago (around 1980?), Tom. :-)

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com> wrote:

> In your system it probably comes from the antenna amplifiers. Unless you
> have something local, a better amplifier might be a cure.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK